Thursday 20 September 2018

6 Healthy Protein Packed Snack Box Ideas

A healthy and easy roundup of 6 different ways to diy your own protein snack boxes! Make this part of your meal prep routine and avoid mindless snacking or an afternoon energy slump.

Protein snack box ideas with cheese diy (1) (534x800)

As much as I love food and amazingly prepared meals… I think snacking is my favorite thing. It’s also something I struggle with daily. I like the freedom to be able to graze and grab a snack whenever I need it! But since snacks are often grabbed by the handful – I don’t realize how much I’m eating. And I also tend to gravitate towards carb-loaded sweet treats but I can eat those forever and not feel full.

Anyone guilty of snacking on 7 handfuls of cereal while looking for another snack?

Yep. I’ve done that.

But portion controlled, planned snacks help combat mindless snacking and can be a great way to fill up on healthy foods.

It’s important to balance protein and fat into your diet to feel satisfied. So I’ve put together 6 different protein packed snack boxes. The mash-up of protein, carbs and fat below offer salty and sweet options to satisfy your cravings and macro needs.

Cheese and cottage cheese are great options for protein packed snacks. I love a convenient option that doesn’t require a ton of preparation or cooking. You can swap out any of the cheeses below for string cheese or pre-cut mini-blocks of cheese to make it even easier if needed.

And if you’re not sure you like a particular type of cheese – check out the Real California Milk – Cheese 101 page for a breakdown on each type and a description of how it tastes.

cheese 101 real california milk (800x408)

Fit Tip: Most of these are a combo of real foods (whole foods and unprocessed foods)! If you’re trying to eat more unprocessed or ‘real foods’ – check out the ingredient label and try to keep it to things where you recognize the ingredients and there are about 5 or less ingredients.

Protein Box Snack Ideas – 6 Ways

DIY Protein Snack Box with Cheese 6 ideas 1 (800x800)

Protein Snack Box 1: Plum, Real California Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Nuts and Dried Fruit

Fit Tip: I love super sharp cheddar cheese – it’s so flavorful I’ve noticed that I can satisfy a cheese craving with 1 serving versus buying a lower calorie replacement and eating a whole block of it. This swap depends on how I’m going to eat it – the foods I’m eating it with or if it’s in a recipe. But when I get a craving for cheddar cheese I go for sharp.

DIY Protein Snack Box with Cheese 6 ideas 2 (800x800)

Protein Snack Box 2: Cinnamon Almonds, Real California Cottage Cheese and Raspberries

Fit Tip: You can diy your own cinnamon almonds if you want to control the ingredients. You can also use plain or salted almonds. I like sweetened nuts with cottage cheese because I prefer cottage cheese as part of a sweet combo.

Swap out raspberries for another fruit that’s in season depending on when you’re making this!

DIY Protein Snack Box with Cheese 6 ideas 3 (800x800) (2)

Protein Snack Box 3: Salsa, Real California Colby Jack Cheese and Tortilla chips or strips

You can also swap out the cheese for a Hispanic style option. It’s a great compliment for this flavor combination. My favorite is Cotija – it’s salty and crumbly and I love it melted on corn tortillas!

Fit Tip: Use baked tortilla chips or corn tortillas cut into strips to keep this protein snack box on the lighter side.

 

DIY Protein Snack Box with Cheese 6 ideas 4 (800x800)

Protein Snack Box 4: Plantain Chips, Real California Cheddar Cheese cubes and Trail Mix

Fit Tip: Swap out the plantain chips for whole grain crackers if you prefer.

DIY Protein Snack Box with Cheese 6 ideas 5 (800x800)

Protein Snack Box 5: Trail mix, Banana and Real California Cottage Cheese

Fit Tip: Sprinkle Cinnamon on the cottage cheese for extra flavor! It’s delicious in combination with the banana and I like to stir all of this mix together.

DIY Protein Snack Box with Cheese 6 ideas 6 (800x800)

Protein Snack Box 6: Grape Tomatoes, Real California Mozzarella Cheese and Pistachios

Fit Tip: If grape tomatoes aren’t in season – swap it out for carrots or sugar snack peas. If they are in season – get them! Ripe tomatoes in the peak of their season are delicious.

Mozzarella is a milder cheese and the grape tomatoes are unseasoned so the salty pistachios really compliment this combination.

Let me know if you swap out one of the ingredients and create a super tasty combo I should try!!

Look for the Real California Milk seal when you get the ingredients for these snack boxes! The seal means the product is made with 100% Real California Milk. California is home to more than 1,300 dairy farms – 99% of which are family owned. 

Real California Milk logo recipe snack ideas

Question: What is your favorite / go-to snack this week? 

 

This post is in partnership with Real California Milk. All opinions are my own.

 

The post 6 Healthy Protein Packed Snack Box Ideas appeared first on Run Eat Repeat.



source https://runeatrepeat.com/6-healthy-protein-packed-snack-box-ideas/

No comments:

Post a Comment