Friday 19 January 2018

Running and Food Questions–Podcast 61

Hello! Today’s RER Podcast answers some of the questions I received after the Pile on the Miles Challenge. I put out a survey for your feedback and future needs. There was a section for questions too! So today I’m answering 5 of your running, eating and social media questions.

This episode is a Q&A and packed with super helpful tips and advice including: 22 things to do when you are injured or can’t run! AND 7 Ways to stay healthy while training for a marathon.

If you have any questions for me – send ‘em over! Contact information is at the bottom of this post.

RER podcast post logo (800x671)

1. Question: – The hardest part for me is pushing past my comfort level. I kind of get stuck and I don’t know how to move past that. Help!? Is that a question?

Monica: Yes the question is… how do I move past my comfort level?

First I would identify what stops you to push past your comfort level.

pushing past your comfort level. Do you get scared or kind of get anxious that your heart rate is increasing or you’re getting out of breath? To just till feel discouraged when it gets hard like maybe I’m not good at this? Does it just feel uncomfortable because you’ve been doing something for so long that when you start to feel like you are being challenged it’s an instinct to kind of pull back because you think maybe you’re doing it wrong? Figure it out why can’t push past that will help you fix it.

Choose – Do you want to work on SPEED or DISTANCE?

Figure out your usual effort level.

And to give you a practical example here’s a little exercise and pushing past your comfort zone during a run… first assess what is your usual effort level while running.

On a scale of 1 to 5… 1 = sitting /  2 = walking /  3 = easy run /  4 = race / 5  = running for your life

25% is taking a walk / 50% is an easy run you could maintain  / 75% it is running better / 100% it is as fast as you can run away from a bear.

During your run after warm up in the middle of a ride I would push it up a level for a fartlek run so you’re not really watching your time but pushing yourself 10 to 25% more. It’s like when you do a spin class and increase the resistance it makes it harder but you’re doing the same thing.

How to do a Fartlek Run podcast

2. Question: What motivates you to keep going with the blog and social media?

Monica: Well there are two big reasons be the number one reason is that I really love it! I really love connecting with everyone. I feel like we have a virtual running group and I get really excited when people chime in and say that I motivated them to sign up for a race or they were going to skip their run but seeing a post that I did push them to do it.

The second reason is that this is how I make money – blogging, social media, selfies, weird live videos, la-di-da. Things are changing all the time and blogging and social media are very different today compared to when I started and it’s going to be very different a year or two from now! So it is exciting and keeps me on my toes. Also – it’s important to note I have the time because I’m not fitting it in around other work.

I think I’d make it a priority even if it wasn’t my job because I genuinely enjoy it!  But if I ever wasn’t motivated I would either push myself to do it or find another job.

Check out the episode on how bloggers make money below. If you’re interested in learning more about this let me know. Feel free to ask any questions so I know if you’re just curious about behind-the-scenes or want some tips on how to blog, podcast or do social media full time.

How bloggers make money podcast

3. Question: How do I stay healthy while training for marathon?

Monica: I think that you mean how to stay healthy as in-  not get sick or don’t feel good. I say this all the time but I really believe it = proper fuel and rest are so important.

If you are running a ton you’re asking a lot of your body and you’re depleting your resources so you need to give back. Restore all those resources both physical and mental that you’re using during marathon training. It’s like changing the oil every 3,000 miles in your car – in addition to adding gas. There are small daily tasks you can do to stay healthy and bigger weekly or monthly things that will help.

How to stay healthy during marathon training:

  1. Make rest and recovery a priority. Set aside time for all the things beyond running that are required.
  2. Stay positive.
  3. Treat your body like an athlete.
  4. Eat well. Eat enough. Eat healthy.
  5. Get proper rest – sleep, naps, taking it easy and similar… Get enough sleep at night. Take naps as needed. Opt out of extra exercise if it’ll be too hard on your body.
  6. Take vitamins and supplements as needed. (Always consult with your doctor on any new diet or exercises.)
  7. Listen to your body. Respect what it’s telling you.

4. Question: How do you hold your running post? I tried doing that for my Victory photo and about fell over. It’s a lot harder than it looks. LOL

Monica: I have a great tip for balancing that works for my running pose and for other balance exercises when you’re on one leg. This question got me excited because I do have a secret to this and it’s based on something I learned in cheerleading. Anytime you’re doing something where you’re balancing on one foot you can maintain your balance by imagining you’re being sucked up through a big straw.   When you are one foot you tend to start to wobble one way and then you pull yourself the other direction to balance it out but that’s not the way to fix it. When you start wobbling –  pull straight up like you are being sucked straight up into the sky through a straw.

I love this because it’s it works for the running pose, it works for tree pose in yoga and it kind of works in life. Sometimes we start leaning one way too much… For example: If I start to go off the rails and  eat a bunch of junk.  I tend to want to pull myself to the other side and do a cleanse or cut out sugar and carbs and completely do the opposite!! That’s not balance – it’s just throwing yourself in the opposite direction. Correcting your balance means getting back to the center.

5. Question: I just started back running after losing 50 lbs and injured my foot. How do you stay motivated while injured?

What CAN you do?

22 Things to do when you have a running injury or can’t run…

  1. Take up non-impact exercise (if you’re approved by your doctor).
  2. Meal prep and/or improve your diet.
  3. Spend quality time with your people.
  4. Volunteer.
  5. Phone a friend.
  6. Send your family and friends a card or letter in the mail.
  7. Go through and organize old photos or papers.
  8. Go to a museum.
  9. Research the BEST sushi or other food in your city.
  10. Be a tourist in your town and visit something different each week.
  11. Take a Paint and Wine class (I know I need a drink when I can’t run!)
  12. Have a meal or drinks outside and just relax and people watch.
  13. Write a book?
  14. Read a book! Join a book club.
  15. Redecorate.
  16. Organize your closet.
  17. Learn how to make Pad Thai! (Then, invite me over.)
  18. Write a bucket list.
  19. Make a quilt.
  20. Take a new class at the gym.
  21. Learn to play an entire song on the guitar or piano in 8 weeks.
  22. Go through all Run Eat Repeat’s instagram and facebook posts and leave funny comments so I see them later and have a laugh. Thanks.
  23. >>>> Any other ideas? Leave them in the comments!

Make a list of all the ‘I should…”  or “I’ve always wanted to…” activities.  A pile of papers? Old photos? A museum. Send your family or friends a note in the mail. A new person each day.

Ditch your workout calendar. Swap it out for a 8 weeks of zen … 8 weeks of volunteering …. 8 weeks of connecting…. 8 weeks and 2 books …

run eat repeat podcast voicemail (800x671)

Got a question for me? Leave a message on the RER voicemail line or email me RunEatRepeat@gmail.com

PS – My PUR Water Giveaway post comments were not working yesterday. So if you haven’t had a chance to enter the contest yet… please check it out!

The post Running and Food Questions–Podcast 61 appeared first on Run Eat Repeat.



source https://runeatrepeat.com/2018/01/19/running-food-questions-podcast-61/

No comments:

Post a Comment