Thursday 6 October 2016

Answers to Your Running Questions

The Chicago Marathon, the Long Beach Marathon and Half Marathon and many other races are this weekend!

Your (800x800)

I asked for your questions on Instagram and here are the answers! Good luck to everyone running and racing!!!

image

 

nathycure_blog How long do you need to wait to run your first half-Marathon? I started running a year ago and I’ve been recommended to run for another year before running my first half marathon so that I can avoid injuries. What are your thoughts on this?

I don’t think there is a set rule for how long to wait before you run a half marathon. It really depends on the person, how fit you were when you started running, how much time you’ve put into it and how your body is responding and improving.

If you only have time to run two or three times a week for a few miles it will take you longer to build up to half marathon mileage. But if you have the time to dedicate to a training plan you can start now.

The best way to tell if you’re ready to starting training is if you can run about 6 miles in one session. And that run doesn’t leave you half dead on the ground. That’s a good place to begin because a 16 week training plan will probably start you around there for a long run.

If you are injury prone you might have to wait a little bit longer and/or use a longer training plan and gradually build up in a way that works with your body.

 

tonikalevyI’m running my very first half marathon this weekend (my first race ever, actually!) and if you could pass along any words of wisdom what would they be? 🙂

This is exciting! Yes, here are some tips for your first race this weekend…

1. Trust your training. All those miles and hard work and sweat (hopefully not tears) has prepared you for race day. You can do this.

2. Rest. This is the time to rest and save up all your energy for the race.

The reality is you probably won’t sleep well the night before the race. This is totally normal. I always have a bad night of sleep before a race because I’m afraid I’m going to miss my alarm or something!

Just make sure you are getting enough sleep and rest before the race. Don’t walk around all day or suddenly take up wrestling or anything else that is going to exhaust you.

3. Be prepared. Lay out all your race day clothes and gear and fuel the night before.

Make a list of anything you need in your bag. Plan out what you’re going to eat the night before and morning of the race.

The more you can prepare ahead of time the less stress it will be on you race day.

4. Have fun! You only run your first race ONE TIME. Enjoy it!

Good luck!!!

tonikalevyOh no, I have another one! It’s suppose to rain race day, and foolishly I’ve never run in the rain. Any tips for running in the rain?

Try to stay dry before the race by wearing a poncho or trash bag before it starts. When the race is starting take it off and toss it in the trash or out of the way.

Check the weather and dress appropriately. Just because it’s raining doesn’t mean it’s going to be cold. You don’t want to overdress because that will just mean more wet clothes weighing you down. Try to wear a hat or visor to keep the rain out of your face.

Bring a ziploc bag if you plan on running with any electronics.

 

runthenfoodFirst half marathon tips? I’m doing a rnr and don’t know what to expect the music to be. Do I bring headphones

Headphones at a Rock N Roll race is always a hard call. There are a lot of bands along the course. The live music and crowds and other runners all make for a very fun time. But there are times when you are ‘in between’ bands and can’t hear music.

You can bring headphones and just turn on your music when you need it. You can skip headphones and just listen when the live music is around. It’s really up to you and how much you ‘need’ music when you run.

How Should I Fuel For a Marathon (800x800)

kristyy815 What’s your fueling strategy during a marathon? I’m running my 1st in January and don’t know how many shot blocks I could handle! And real food suggestions?

I fuel every 5 miles. (I drink as often as I can most of the time.) I usually do 3 shot blocks at mile 5 and 10, a gel at mile 15 and then between mile 18 and 22 I often take advantage of whatever is available on the course. I still have my own extra gel in case I need it and play it by ear.

 

evml07 What is the best of the best recommendation for preventing blisters and skin irritation on your feet for half marathon and marathon runners? Blisters always kill my marathon vibes

First make sure you are wearing the right size and width shoe for your foot. Then, get some high quality socks. (I like ProCompression because they are thin and tight and don’t move around.)

If you are still getting blisters you might have to slather on vaseline to your trouble spots.

 

bigmacdavis Hydration!! How do you bring water on long training runs? Dropping water bottles along the route or carrying a bottle is such a pain! Thanks!!

Agree! I don’t like to bring a water bottle or fuel belt with water bottles unless I really have to. I try to plan my routes so I am passing by a water fountain every few miles. I also do a repeat loop if needed.

On longer runs it’s just inevitable and I bring a small bottle and plan to refill it. If you really hate bringing water dropping bottles along the route is a great idea. You can also bring some money and buy a water or Gatorade at a gas station.

 

kaischnee Any extra tips for getting the most out of a @runrocknroll half? How about in the rain?

Rain tips are above.

Rock N Roll half marathons are so much fun! The RNR expos are bigger than many other smaller races so set aside time to check it out. But remember not to spend too much time walking around if you can avoid it. You want to try and keep your legs rested.

Rock N Roll races are big and there are a lot of people so the starting line is crowded. Allow for plenty of time to arrive, park and get to your corral.

Take pictures, enjoy the music and HAVE FUN!!!

 

rivergrl69 I am running Long Beach half marathon for my 2nd time and will be my 8th half marathon in two years!!! So excited!!!

Good luck!!!!

 

tnai13 Chicago marathon this Sunday. My second marathon. Looking to keep the energy up and push through the wall that I hit last year. Really, I ran into a wall.

Watch where you’re going!!!

 

kaylakrahn Hip injury and a half on the 16th. What do I do?!?!?!

How bad is the injury?? Your half marathon is the 16th of October? You might be risking a more serious or longer recovery if you run injured. It’s hard for me to tell without details. But I’d err on the side of caution. You should show up 100% healthy on race day if you truly want to have a good race.

cinderella running costume

carriebier Do you have any ideas for hair up-dos that’ll last a half marathon AND look pretty? Running the Las Vegas Rock N Roll and need to find something.

I don’t know if this is ‘pretty’ but I used a hot buns insert for the Disneyland 10K when I was dressed as Cinderella and it lasted!

 

sarah_haines.3 Chicago on Sunday! This is my FIRST marathon. What’s the most important advise you can offer to a first timer??(aside from not starting to too fast lol) Thank you!

1. Eat, drink, wear the same thing you’ve been wearing in training.

2. Rest up leading up to the race. Take good care of yourself in terms of food, hydration and rest so you feel great on race day.

3. Pace yourself. Stay confident and stick to your pace and fueling plan.

4. Have FUN! I haven’t been able to run Chicago (yet) but I’ve heard it’s one of the BEST races in the US. Enjoy it! Remember the crowds and the other runners and all the ups and downs of your first marathon.

Good luck!

 

mar_val77 Running the Brooklyn half on Saturday, how many beers is too much on Friday night?

It depends, do you want to PR in ‘most beers drank before a race?’ or PR in the actual race??

I’d say no more than 4. But this is coming from the girl who has showed up still buzzed from the night before to a race or two in the past…

How Should I Fuel For a Marathon (2) (800x800)

Question: Any last minute tips to add?

Got questions for me?

Leave them in the comments or email me at runeatrepeat at gmail dot com

The post Answers to Your Running Questions appeared first on Run Eat Repeat.



source http://runeatrepeat.com/2016/10/06/answers-to-your-running-questions/

No comments:

Post a Comment