Tuesday 25 July 2017

Grams.

Grams and my hand

So I got unexpected message yesterday that my grandma seemed very sick and  might pass that afternoon.

It was unexpected because even though she’s 92, she hasn’t been very sick. She had a nurse with her because she’s been having back pain and we’re trying to figure out her pain management situation.

I immediately went to see her and be with my family. It was very sad, but I’m grateful we had that time.

She passed away this afternoon. It was very peaceful and more than anything I’m glad for the timing that I a was there with my mom right then.

I want to share some random facts about my Grams and my relationship with her. I love her very very much.

Grams first selfie

I don’t think there is one right or normal way to have a family. So I’ll just say that my relationship with my Grams was very special because I grew up living with her and my mom from birth till some point in high school. She played a big part in taking care of me and my brother growing up.

grams and graduation

She always yelled. This is probably why I’m so loud.

She love whiskey. She’s to drink it with water but in her later years she switched to scotch and soy milk to be healthy. Ha!

Her favorite Mariachi song is Volver and I don’t think anyone in my family can hear it without thinking of her. It’s my favorite too.

Her husband (my mom’s dad) died when my mom was only 18. So, I never met my grandpa. She dated when I was a kid but never remarried.

One of my favorite childhood videos is of Grams  asking my brother to give a blow-up Easter bunny a  kiss. He takes a couple steps back and runs toward it and completely tackles it like a football player. Ha! Classic.

grams and brother

She played the piano. Come to think about it, I really don’t know how she learned.

She was fully bilingual but didn’t raise my mom speaking Spanish… then my mom didn’t raise me speaking it either. This makes me sad and I really want to learn it.

But she would get mad at us in Spanish, so we know some of those words…

She’d go to Vegas a lot when I was a kid and bring my brother and I cute little souvenirs…. tiny toy slot machines, fun key chains, random glittery dice… my favorite was a pair of nail clippers that I had for years.

She was a good cook. I remember her making tacos and enchiladas a lot. I think any kind of meat ended up in a taco!

She loved fancy Persian cats and had two while I was growing up. One was Tiffany and the other was Cubby, but his official name was Sir Winston the III or something.

And because this post needs a little comic relief here is a picture of me as the chubby lil cat dressing weirdo I was and still am…

chubby cat and chubby RER

I’m going to miss her.

Thank you so much for all your prayers and support on Instagram and Facebook. I really appreciate it.

Love,

Monican

 

 

I also want to note…  my  podcast came out today. I recorded that first episode over a month ago. In it I talk about how I started running – for the longest time I would go visit her and walk on her treadmill. It’s a coincidence that I mention her in it since I don’t talk about her that often and it launched today and she passed away today.

The podcast is available on RER to download but it takes some time to get on iTunes and Stitcher. It will be available there in the next two days. Thanks for your patience on this. I’ll follow up as soon as it’s available there.

The post Grams. appeared first on Run Eat Repeat.



source http://runeatrepeat.com/2017/07/25/grams/

No comments:

Post a Comment