Monday 25 September 2017

Deep Fried Watermelon at the LA County Fair

Yes. I had deep fried watermelon today! I have so much to say about this because I love watermelon and I love fried food and I love food on a stick… but do I love fried watermelon on a stick?? I needed to find out. But first… let’s run through the other pictures from the LA County Fair.

Deep fried watermelon 15 (800x800)

I go to the fair for the food. Apparently there are rides and exhibits with awesome crafts and art and recipes that have won blue ribbons. But again – fair food is fun fried food. And I’m all about it!

Deep fried watermelon 1 (441x588) Deep fried watermelon 3 (784x588)

Luckily I went to the LA County Fair (that’s actually in Pomona so I used to call it the Pomona Fair as a kid) with my family. And my lil brother is fun to eat with because he rolls with whatever I order and we can share a ton of different things. Boom!

I finally got the cheese on a stick I’ve been randomly craving!

Deep fried watermelon 2 (784x588)

We shared…

a turkey leg, cheese on a stick (pepper jack), nachos, Dole whip, burrito bowl, deep fried watermelon, funnel cake

Deep fried watermelon 13 (784x588) Deep fried watermelon 16 (800x800)

It was the last day of the fair so it was extra busy! Every food booth and all the rides had long lines.

Deep fried watermelon 8 (784x588) Deep fried watermelon 11 (784x588) Deep fried watermelon 4 (478x637) Deep fried watermelon 10 (441x588)

I didn’t take the Funnel Cake Challenge… but I kinda wish I would have!

Deep fried watermelon 7 (441x588)

This booth brings back memories of epic fried foods I’ve tried in the past…

Deep fried watermelon 17 (784x588) Deep fried watermelon 12 (784x588) Deep fried watermelon 14 (784x588)

And I spotted a super hero at the fair! Love.

Deep fried watermelon 9 (441x588)

Okay… Let’s talk about deep fried watermelon!

You can see it was a big wedge of watermelon. It’s lightly battered and fried. Then, it’s topped with syrup and a light dusting of powdered sugar. And it’s served on a stick.

When the girl at the booth handed it to me she advised that I should go grab some napkins because it can be a little juicy and messy.

Deep fried watermelon 6 (441x588)

As I was taking a picture and eating it a lot of people passing by commented on it…

“Is that watermelon?”  … “Fried watermelon!”  … “Is it good?”

Deep fried watermelon 15 (800x800)

1000% watermelon is my favorite food. (Unless you’re new to Run Eat Repeat – you probably are super well aware!)
I’m usually a watermelon purist and don’t like it in recipes or cooked. So I figured I wouldn’t really love fried watermelon
But I felt morally obligated to try it so I could report back to you. (Tough job but somebody’s gotta do it.)

Presentation was awesome. ✔ ‎ ‎The batter was thin, not overpowering. ✔ ‎ ‎Watermelon was sweet but it was weird that it was warm. ✔ ‎
It was a fun thing to try, but I wouldn’t get it again. ✔

Question: Anyone else try deep fried watermelon?

Did you go to your local Fair this year?

The post Deep Fried Watermelon at the LA County Fair appeared first on Run Eat Repeat.



source http://runeatrepeat.com/2017/09/25/deep-fried-watermelon-at-the-la-county-fair/

No comments:

Post a Comment