Tuesday 18 April 2017

Getting to Boston and the Boston Marathon Expo

Hello from Boston! I’m here for the Boston Marathon and wanted to give you a complete recap from traveling on Friday to the race on Monday. It was a long weekend packed with so much fun and running and eating.

Friday morning I did one last run before the big race on Monday (the race is traditionally held on Patriot’s Day). I packed the day before but did a double check of everything to make sure I wasn’t missing any race day must haves.

Boston marathon pre race blog (800x600)

Then, I was off to LAX for BOS! It’s a long flight but I scored a direct so it was over pretty quickly.

Boston marathon pre race blog 1 (460x613)

Travel essentials include: iced coffee, iced tea, Spark, snacks, more snacks, more iced coffee, wifi, repeat.

Boston marathon pre race blog 2 (460x613)

I got a lot of work done on the flight. This was good because I ended up not having any time to work over the weekend. If you emailed me or commented on social media – I’m catching up tomorrow.

Boston marathon pre race blog 5 (800x600)

I am running the Boston Marathon as part of the Hyland’s Team and stayed in a hotel with the other runners. I stayed at the Chandler Inn. It is a great location! We were within walking distance to the expo and tons of great restaurants and sight-seeing locations.

chandler inn hotel 10 (800x600)

chandler inn hotel (800x600)

chandler inn hotel 2 (460x613)

I got in about 9pm Friday night and immediately went in search of food.

chandler inn hotel 3 (460x613)

There is a Whole Foods about a half mile away. I hit up the hot food bar for a dinner of all the best things. After Sizzler – Whole Foods is my favorite restaurant.

chandler inn hotel 4 (800x600)

Saturday morning I met up with Chandra for a short shake-out run around the Boston waterfront. It was COLD for me early in the morning so I bundled up.

chandler inn hotel 7 (460x613)

It actually wasn’t that cold! Sure it was chilly but I ended up ditching my gloves. Plus it was GORGEOUS. The sun was shining bright and it was a clear beautiful day. We did about 4 miles (I think? I kept starting and stopping my Garmin at the wrong time when we paused to take pictures or figure out where to run).

boston marathon race travel (800x600)

boston marathon race travel 1 (800x600)

boston marathon race travel 4 (460x613)

I don’t know how I’ve managed to keep a friend when I’m such a weirdo…. (my gloves are in my running belt in the back pocket)

boston marathon race travel 6 (800x600)

Chandra just moved here 6 months ago. She was my official tour guide / photographer / support team / PIC / cheerleader and friend all weekend. I don’t know what I would have done without her. <- Seriously.

I have been super stressed and everyone else on the team had their partner or parents or someone with them. If not for her I think I would have been super lonely and sad.

boston marathon race travel 7 (460x613)

boston marathon race travel 9 (800x600)

After our run we walked by the Boston 5K – it was HUGE! I didn’t realize how many people were running it. The sounds of runners getting ready for a race, the announcers and all the buzz got me super excited for the marathon.

boston marathon race travel 11 (800x600)

boston marathon race travel 12 (800x600)

boston marathon race travel 14 (800x600)

Dunkin Donuts was the next stop. Monican runs on Dunkin!

boston marathon race travel 17 (460x613)

After the run I went back to the hotel to shower and met up with the Hyland’s team for brunch. This was the first time we were all meeting in person. I already felt like I knew everyone from watching their training journey and updates on social media. It was like we were already friends.

boston marathon race travel 18 (800x600)

After brunch we headed to the Boston Marathon expo at the John B. Hynes Veterans Memorial Convention Center. This is a huge race and the expo is really awesome. I saw a sign that it was rated ‘best race expo in the country’. I’m not sure who voted on that – but I do think it’s one of the best expos I’ve been to in a long time.

boston marathon expo run blog 15 (800x600)

boston marathon expo run blog 16 (800x600)

Bib pick-up was quick and easy. Before the race we were sent a “Runner’s Passport”. It was an information packet with your race number plus info on race day, times, locations and other race weekend notes.

boston marathon expo run blog 18 (800x600)boston marathon expo run blog 17 (800x600)

Race t-shirt pickup was in a separate room just across the hall. This helped keep it organized too.

boston marathon expo run blog 23 (800x600)

The expo vendors and merchandise was on the next floor of the convention center.

boston marathon expo run blog 9 (800x600)

Have you tried any of the new alcohol sparkling waters? This is Truly – I tried the lime flavor. It’s good!! I also saw another brand at Whole Foods recently.

boston marathon expo run blog 8 (460x613)

boston marathon expo run blog 6 (800x600)

The group met at the Hyland’s booth to meet Boston Marathon race director Dave McGillivray.

boston marathon expo run blog 5 (800x600)

boston marathon expo run blog (800x600)

I saw McGillivray speak at the Runner’s World hat trick race a few years ago. He is super inspirational. I still remember a few of his quotes and stories from that night.

boston marathon expo run blog 4 (460x613)

I also finally met Rahaf from Run like a Hijabi and Caitlyn from Women’s Running. We’ve known each other via email for over a year!

boston marathon expo run blog 2 (460x613)

I spotted the SportHooks booth and had to stop and say Hi!

boston marathon expo run blog 13 (460x613)

There was tons of Boston Marathon merchandise including the famous Boston Marathon jacket. I kept going back and forth on whether or not to get one. The super long line at the checkout made me decide to skip it until tomorrow and try to come back.

But I did get a Boston hoodie and then I spotted this runner onsie or Runsie?! I thought it was funny – it just seems so naked to run in?! I tried it on to share on the blog and get your opinion. I figured it would make for a good random poll – would you run in a runsie?!

Then, I ended up loving it. I wouldn’t wear it to run – I need longer tight kinda shorts to prevent chafing. And it has an open back and I need clothes to mop up my sweat.  But I love this for just wearing on a hot day – maybe even for a walk or something since it’s wick-wear. It has a lil pocket for a key or gels so I can try to squeeze a snack in there. Boom.

boston marathon expo run blog 24 (460x613)

boston marathon expo run blog 25 (460x613)

boston marathon expo run blog 28 (460x613)

Boston Marathon expo – check

Boston Marathon bib pickup – check

Boston Marathon pre-race nerves  – check

Plus I scored a poster. I haven’t opened it up yet but it’s supposed to have all the runners names on it.

boston marathon expo run blog 36 (460x613)

Hello and thank you to everyone who said “hi!” at the expo or around Boston this weekend. It was fun to meet so many readers and IG followers! Kinda made it feel like a small world and that we were in it together. Great to meet you!!

More on the race weekend fun and the actual race soon!

Question: Running Onsie – would you run in it? Would you wear it?

The post Getting to Boston and the Boston Marathon Expo appeared first on Run Eat Repeat.



source http://runeatrepeat.com/2017/04/18/getting-to-boston-and-the-boston-marathon-expo/

No comments:

Post a Comment