Monday 15 May 2017

Make Your Own Salad Bar

Hello! How are ya? I’m trying to catch up on sleep and work and laundry – exciting stuff, I know. Between the Tinkerbell 10K Saturday and half marathon Sunday and Mother’s Day and a few other things I had to take care of –  it was a super crazy weekend. But I did make time to eat tons of watermelon and get all the goodies for a salad bar at home.

diy salad bar (534x800)

mothers day food blog (800x600)

My mom requested a ‘fancy salad’ for Mother’s Day. I decided to take it a step further and make a fancy (for me) salad bar.

I knew I was going to be busy this weekend so I tried to prep as much as I could before Sunday. I made candied walnuts Saturday. And because I know myself I made A LOT. I even went back to the store for an extra bag of walnuts so I wouldn’t be worried about eating them. Busted!

diy salad bar party 1 (800x600)

They came out so good. Have you ever made candied walnuts or pecans? When they’re fresh and warm … oh, I definitely went too far with them.

diy salad bar party 2 (800x600)

Sunday after the Tinkerbell Half Marathon I went home, showered and grabbed all the stuff for the salad bar. Then, I headed to my parents’ house for Mother’s Day with my family.

Before we ate my mom, sister-in-law, niece and I went to get pedicures. It was really about my mom and Heathie so when my favorite tiny person decided she was NOT interested in letting this happen I scooped her up and we walked around the stores near the nail salon.

Luckily it was near my favorite store… the 99 Cent store! Boom. Me and my Fave walked around the store looking for fun stuff. We scored cherries (my pick), a balloon and a net for catching bugs.

me and mik at the 99 (460x613)

Then, we headed back to the house to eat. I finished up the salad bar with fruit salad, pasta salad and all the usual toppings.

diy salad bar party 3 (800x600)

diy salad bar party 5 (460x613)

The salad bar included:

  • Hummus
  • Guacamole
  • Croutons
  • Tomatoes
  • Celery
  • Candied Walnuts
  • Kidney Beans
  • Corn
  • Tomatoes
  • Crunchy chickpeas
  • Carrots
  • Dried Fruit
  • Pasta salad
  • Fruit salad
  • Chicken (my brother grilled this)
  • Cornbread

diy salad bar party 6 (460x613)

The pups hung out but were not super into eating salad. Oh well, more for us!

diy salad bar party 11 (460x613)

I hope you had a great Mother’s Day. I hope you have a great mother. I do. I’m very very blessed to have an amazing mom. I don’t have the words right now to dedicate an adequate ode to her, but trust me she’s the best.

keep calm mom

Question: What did you do this weekend? How’d you celebrate Mother’s Day? Is it worldwide?

The post Make Your Own Salad Bar appeared first on Run Eat Repeat.



source http://runeatrepeat.com/2017/05/15/make-your-own-salad-bar/

No comments:

Post a Comment