Sunday 28 May 2017

Not Running is a Pain in the Neck

Hello! Happy weekend!! It’s Memorial Day weekend in the US (fyi for my international people) so we have a 3-day weekend. I’m hoping you’re having fun in the sun. I had some fun and some not-so-fun because I was supposed to run the Mountains to Beach Marathon today and decided not to – not sure if that counts as a DNS (did not start) if you don’t even go and decide days before?

I woke up Friday morning, brushed my teeth, told Vegas “Buenos Dias” (he speaks Spanish) and started to slip off my top to change into running clothes. As I pulled my tank above my head I looked to the side for some reason and immediately felt a shooting pain down the left side of my neck.

I froze.

I took a breath and hoped that my muscle would relax – it didn’t.

I decided to just stop drop and roll – kinda. I laid down on the floor right there and tried to let the muscle relax without moving it.

After a few minutes I realized I was straight F-ed. I mean, I realized I might have pulled something in my neck and filled up on ibuprofen and put some ice on it.

I let the ice calm it down and the ibuprofen kick in before going for my usual run. I would have stopped if it was super painful – as long as I looked straight forward I was okay. So I ran and came home to try and stretch it out – nope. I couldn’t move it.

run half marathon training blog 30 (800x600)

I kept the ice going and made an appointment for a massage. I wanted to see if I could get it back into working order asap and still run the Mountains to Beach Marathon. This masseuse is amazing – I went to her after the LA Marathon to help me recover faster. She did a great job and I felt a lot better after – but the inflammation was still causing some pain.

I knew I wouldn’t be at 100% by Sunday morning so I just decided right then to tap out.

I could have pushed myself – but I would have hated myself at some point (if not multiple points) during the race. It’s hard to get good sleep before a race – which is important to recovery of any injury. I get tense in the shoulders and neck towards the end of a marathon – this is something I’m working on and I do try to have good form, but over the course of 26.2 miles it happens.

So all of that is to tell you that sometimes I actually make responsible decisions.

Most of the time I don’t – but I want credit for this one time. Thanks.

smart running i tried

I think part of the reason this happened is my neck and shoulders have been crazy super tight all week – to the point where I feel it at the end of the day. I turned in an article the other day and as soon as I pressed “Send” to email it to the editor I took a deep breath and realized – my neck and shoulders are so tight they hurt!

I’m stressed right now – my body was telling me and I didn’t listen.

But I was super aggressive with trying to heal it – Ice, Massage, Heat, Wine, Fries, Rest…

If you listen when your body whispers it won't have to scream. (800x800)

I went to the beach for a nice lil walk with a friend –  this was nice and relaxing.

run half marathon training blog 18 (800x600)

I had wine for some anti-oxidant super powers for nutrition purposes.

run half marathon training blog 19 (460x613)

And since sodium is important for electrolyte balance in athletes I made sure to get it in the form of salt on potato and sweet potato fries. Boom.

run half marathon training blog 20 (460x613) run half marathon training blog 22 (460x613) run half marathon training blog 24 (800x600)

Please note that I drove to meet my friend for dinner with a pack of frozen veggies on my neck.

run half marathon training blog 17 (460x613)

This is either smart or weird or shows I’m committed to recovery or wanted a snack on the road…

run half marathon training blog 16 (460x613)

Question: What kind of frozen veggies do you have in your freezer RIGHT NOW?

What are you up to this weekend?

The post Not Running is a Pain in the Neck appeared first on Run Eat Repeat.



source http://runeatrepeat.com/2017/05/28/not-running-is-a-pain-in-the-neck/

No comments:

Post a Comment