Friday 23 June 2017

Reminders for your Long Run

Hello! How’s it going? Over here it’s going good but I’m definitely overwhelmed with some of the technical details of starting a podcast. I have no idea what I’m doing on the technical side of things – but I’ve wanted to do this for over a year now and just decided to jump in with both feet. It’s coming soon (I’m shooting for next week).

I tried out the new-to-me Reebok running shoes for my run yesterday. They have more support than my usual running shoes so I’m not sure if they work for me yet. I have to run more in them to really know. But if you’re in the market for a neutral cushion shoe for long distance running you can check ‘em out!

They’re called the Harmony Road Running Shoe and won the Runner’s World award for best debut running shoe. Pretty sweet!

reebok running shoes (785x589)

I ran 7.81 miles in them.

No, I didn’t feel the need to make it an even 8 miles. I usually run even numbers just because I do out-and-back runs most of the time and turn around when I hit a certain mile.

But sometimes I’ll get a call or finish a podcast that interrupts my run and I stop to take a walking break or come back a different way. When that happens and I end up back at home at a random point in my last mile I usually just end the run unless it’s a long run and I really want to hit a certain mile (it makes me feel more accomplished for a long run, like I can really cross it off the list).

running even miles (442x589)

Post-run food: Toasted english muffin with smashed super ripe banana and powdered peanut butter. So good!

post run food english muffin with banana (785x589)

I headed to my parents’ house to take Roxy for a hair cut. She looks like a new dog!

Actually, what if they lost her and gave me another dog??!! Hmmm. I better ask her a few things that only she and I would know to be sure…

take your dog to work day (442x589)

When I’m at my parents’ I eat all their good food – like guacamole. And I make my brother run errands with me.

guacamole at home (785x589)

And I make him hold up watermelon cakes in Ralph’s so I can take a picture of it even though he’s a teenager and thinks this is embarrassing.

watermelon cake (785x589)

And I make him take pictures of things like funny license plates or stickers on cars while I’m driving.

I thought this Gordito & Flexing sticker was fun. I just think of Gordito as a nickname and so it’s random to have your nickname written in HUGE letters on your car.

gordito car (442x589)

And how about this Disney Runner?!! I love it! I want to be friends with Gordito and this Disney runner and we’ll eat tacos and run Disneyland races!

disney runner (442x589)

Dinner was Thai take-out because my lil brother and I were talking about our favorite foods and I said Thai food. My favorite food changes a little from Thai / Pizza / Chinese depending on the day but those are usually the top 3 choices I rotate.

thai food and wine (800x600)

 

Do you have a long run planned for this weekend?

Planning and preparation for your runs is super important – and it can be the difference between a great run and a bad one, especially in extreme weather. Here are a few reminders to get you ready for your long run this weekend…

plan long run half marathon training (533x800)

Plan your Long Run Reminders:

1. Check the weather.

Extreme weather – hot or cold – can impact your run in a major way. Try to plan your run around storms, super high temperatures or other weather events that might hurt your long run. If you can’t change your run to a day or time with ‘better’ weather – do your best to plan to work with it.

2. Dress for the weather & distance you’re running.

Dressing for your long run isn’t about fashion, it’s about function. Make sure the length / fabric / colors of your gear works with the distance you’re running. Time of day, weather, distance, terrain… there are a lot of things that can impact what you should wear for a run. Take it all into account as you get ready.

Running is hard enough. Make it easier by wearing the best shoes and gear for YOU. You don’t want something like a  sock that keeps falling down or a sports bra that’s chafing you to stop your run.

3. Fuel and hydrate.

Set yourself up for a good run by fueling and hydrating properly. The day before the run – eat enough healthy food and make sure you are well hydrated.

The day of the run – eat something before your run. Drink enough and take water or your favorite running drink with you.

Plan what you’ll drink or eat during the run. It doesn’t have to be rehydrate or a gel, it can be a ham sandwich if that’s what works for you. But make sure you plan for it and have it available BEFORE you hit a wall or feel dehydrated.

4. Plan route with support if possible.

Things like water stops / shaded stretches of sidewalk / places to buy snacks / out and back to reapply sunblock if needed….

Every runner is different – your long run is the time to figure out what your body needs to run strong.

 

Tip: If you’re looking for a new hydration drink – Rehydrate has a few new flavors = Berry Lemon Ice   and   Red Raspberry.   They are super NEW so I don’t know how they are just yet but I love the Key Lime Cherry flavor and Mango Pineapple.

I ordered the new flavors and I’ll let you know what I think soon!

Question: What are you up to this weekend?

The post Reminders for your Long Run appeared first on Run Eat Repeat.



source http://runeatrepeat.com/2017/06/23/reminders-for-your-long-run/

No comments:

Post a Comment